|
Tracking my wanderlust need to get out of town once a month Track my O progress here
|
08 July 2002
Friday 05 July
Ah, the joys of Harriman! Mike and I are visiting my parents, and we went up to Harriman today. I decided to take it easy, and de-stress and go for a map hike. It's so relaxing for me to be back in my "home" woods; plus they are so beautiful. At the end of my hike, I sat on a boulder and looked at the woods and lake for a few minutes. Much better than being at work!
It always takes me about 20 minutes to remember how to read a map in Harriman. There is so much rock detail, I find it hard to look at contours (in the woods or on the map). I took it very slow to the first two control points I had picked out, and took a while to verify that I was at the correct location. But after that I warmed up, and felt comfortable in my orienteering. I still took it easy physically, because I wanted to enjoy the day. I practiced keeping a compass bearing, and running up and down rocky terrain. It was a great day.
MT = 60
posted by Mary 8:44 PM [edit]
|