Movements

Tracking my wanderlust need to get out of town once a month

Track my O progress here

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
14 April 2002
I decided to try to measure my lactate threshold. The idea is to run as hard as you can maintain for 30 minutes on a flat surface. Your average HR is your lactate threshold. I hope to test it periodically to see if it has improved.

So I headed over to the high school track this afternoon. I warmed up for 10 minutes, then started to jog. There was a stiff head wind (as usual) for half the track; a good tail wind on the other half. I first I was worried about getting bored while running for 30 minutes on the track. However, that wasn't my problem. By 15 minutes my legs started to complain; by 17 minutes by breathing was really labored; by 20 minutes I stopped. I must admit, however, that I'm a wimp when it comes to pushing myself physically; I don't like to suffer. So, I might have been able to keep going for another 5 minutes or so, if I had really tried. But I doubt I would have made the whole 30 minutes. Guess I started out too fast to last 30 minutes.

My average HR was 164, which is just about 90% of my max HR (by whichever method one uses for calculation). Just what you would expect. It may be a useful number to help me set a pace during O races. For comparision to future tests, I ran 6.5 laps in lane 7.

I'm counting today's time towards last week, because I was too wiped to do anything yesterday, and I have a lot of O planned for the coming week.

TT = 167


posted by Mary 3:27 PM [edit]

Comments: Post a Comment